Throughout the programme implementation (2016 – 2020), the British Council convened 11 Policy Dialogues on enhancement of strategies and issues in harmonisation of ASEAN higher education involving all relevant stakeholders. Policy dialogues are conducted at two levels:
First, high-level dialogues at ministerial and political levels with ASEAN Member States; using existing events such as the SEAMEO, SOM-ED, and ASEM conferences to raise awareness, gain legitimacy for activities, and resolves systemic blockages.
Second, operational level dialogues focusing on technical dimensions, providing vertical and horizontal linkages to enable joint actions to cross-cut other result areas. Research will be commissioned to direct dialogues and findings will be published to disseminate result more widely.
SHARE’s Policy Dialogue activities are guided by ASEAN’s policy priorities, as formulated in:
- The ASEAN Socio-cultural Community Blueprint 2025 (download here)
- The ASEAN Work Plan on Education 2016 – 2020
- The ASEAN Work Plan on Education 2021 – 2025
- The Kuala Lumpur Declaration on Higher Education of 2015 (download here)
SHARE’s support to ASEAN and its alignment with ASEAN’s priorities were endorsed by the leaders of the 10 ASEAN Member States at the 30th ASEAN Summit in April 2017, who stated: “We noted with appreciation the pilot scholarship scheme under the European Union (EU) Support to Higher Education in ASEAN Region (SHARE), which tested credit transfer and recognition within ASEAN by providing scholarship support to 400 ASEAN university students to study for a semester in another institution in an ASEAN country.”(download the Chairman’s Statement here)
The SHARE Programme has been listed as a partner in the implementation of the ASEAN Work Plan on Education 2021 – 2025, particularly Output 3.2:‘Sustained and strengthened ASEAN capacity in higher education harmonisation through strategies, mechanisms, and scholarship provision.’
In the context of EU-ASEAN relations, SHARE is further guided by the priorities laid out in the Bangkok Declaration on Promoting an ASEAN-EU Global Partnership for Shared Strategic Goals in 2016 (download here), in which the two organisations agree to promote cooperation on education as well as encourage mobility of students and academics between ASEAN and EU higher education institutions, and explore possibilities for ASEAN-EU scholarships including through EU-funded programmes such as SHARE.
- The Twelfth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Eleventh SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Tenth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Ninth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Eighth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Seventh SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Sixth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Fifth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Fourth SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Third SHARE Policy Dialogue
- The Second SHARE Policy Dialogue
- Inaugural Policy Dialogue